Tuesday, April 27, 2010

a new way of doing business

For a long time now, in fact, since the dawn of 2008, I've reviewed "B-Show" level events. And honestly, the practice has grown tiring several times. Recently, I came to the conclusion that I no longer enjoyed top level mixed martial arts. Too many meatheads. Too many lousy fights promoted as classics. The mistakes of boxing repeated endlessly and in astonishing new ways, mixed with the panache of Vince McMahon style prowres. I shant be surprised at these things; just more or less like how I decided that I never wanted to eat McDonalds again because it was crap and haven't since, a recognition that it was somewhat of a waste. For example he X-1 review below only got posted a couple days ago, and yet was typed in March from notes written in February.

In part to question this attitude, I realized I should go back to those on the internet and the few in real life who have been around during various stages of my formative interest in the sport. After talking with them and internal diatribes, this blog is getting some changes. I'm not going to give up on MMA forever - having been watching it since I was a wee child excited over Tank Abbott's obesity powered right hands, it would be tough to totally break it. But I'm no longer at a point where watching major league MMA matters any more. I am what I am: The dude who watches terrible fights. At that level of the "sport", there is still the sense that continued success will bring about a sort of advancement. The belts are all meaningless garbage but at least there's a path they lead to.

More important to this is how I watch fights. So many of my reviews end up being play by plays. No one needs play by plays of bad fights. Nor do quips about the fight afterward reveal anything about the contestants. So, the reviews are changing. Format now:

Names(No longer all in caps because its annoying to type that way): description and background like the old days.

Result and rough description of the type of fight. D&R point system still in effect.

Winner: Strengths, weaknesses.

Loser: What they showed in the contest.

So for the 3 regular readers (Cory, Chris, uh, Lee maybe?), that lays it out. On with the show.

1 comment:

Iain said...

Make that four regular readers.

Iain